Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jena Six

I was sent this link http://www.whileseated.org/photo/003244.shtml about these six boys in Jena, Louisiana. It really boggled my mind that this type of hatred still goes on even though I have experienced myself. These boys in Jena are in high school and were racial brutalized by white children at their school because they sat under the white tree and they were black. The white children threw nooses up over the tree to threaten the black kids. In protest, the majority of the black population at the high school sat under the "white" tree, peacefully. The adults brushed off the altercation as if it was nothing and the black students were acting up too much. Worst comes to worst and their ends up being violence when a white student says the "N" word to black students. The white student got his ass beat, pressed charges and now these kids who beat up the white student are being punished as adults. Violence is not the answer by any means, but like I've said, these are children, all of them. The adults didn't act and show that this type of discrimination and prejudice should be prohibited, especially in an educational environment. It blows my mind that this situation was allowed to just spiral out of control and as a person, I signed the petition to help the Jena Six. If this story outrages you as well... I ask that you please do so also. Racism and prejudice, to me, is just plain ignorant and unexceptable. Though violence is not an answer either, it shouldn't have been allowed to escalate or tolerated. Its just unacceptable.

3 comments:

Claire said...

I love my home state of Louisiana, but this makes me ashamed of it. Unfortunately prejudice, hatred and racism are overtly present there. I wish this didn't happen, but I'm encouraged that so many people are outraged and getting involved. Thanks for putting this on your blog.

theresalaf said...

there is a "White Tree"??? Is this tree recognized by the school?

theresalaf said...

did the kids just happen to have nooses on them? Who carries around nooses?